How to Prepare for your First Appointment
1) What To Wear
You’ll need to expose the body part that is effected (knee, shoulder, back, etc.) Loose fitting apparel such as sweats and t-shirt are ideal, otherwise you may have to use a gown.
2) What To Expect
Be prepared to undergo a complete physical exam on your first visit. It may take between 45-60 minutes for the entire visit.
3) Treatments & Terminology
* Asterisked procedures require a high skill level.
- Joint Mobilization* – The application of movement and force to a joint for the purpose of increasing motion and range. Can be used to reduce pain. Sometimes discomfort may accompany the procedure.
- Soft-Tissue Massage – The application of movement and force to muscles, ligaments, nerves or other soft-tissue for the purpose of promoting healing and normalization. Can be used to reduce pain. Sometimes discomfort may accompany the procedure.
- Pressure-Point Release– In this procedure the therapist or clinical assistant searches for muscles that are actively in spasm or causing pain. They then push on the muscle for 1-2 minutes. Initially it will cause soreness but should diminish steadily. This helps to normalize the muscles in that area.
- Therapeutic Exercises – Strengthening and balancing the muscles around your joints are essential for good movement, stability and pain relief. Physical therapists are the leading experts in helping those with pain, arthritis, obesity, diabetes and heart disease get fit and strong safely.
The office should be open in discussing prices and costs with you. The last thing you want is an unexpected bill later. If you intend to use your insurance, call the number on your card and verify your deductible and coinsurance before your first visit. Absent financial hardship, you will be required to pay these amounts. Even if the therapist offers to waive your fees, state and federal agencies may fine both of you for breaking the law.
- Patient Registration
Download and complete the Patient Express Registration Form
Would you like to find out more?
Choose Which One Works Best For You...